After working on the cube wire structure I was wondering how to attach the form of the lamp to the socket itself. Then while out looking for materials I found these little copper plated pipe clamps. In this photo I set up a little jig to enable me to flatten them out, mark them, centre punch and drill. This is a very rough jig but it did the job with what I had knocking around.
After this little, but significant breakthrough this piece started to come together pretty quickly. I started looping wire through those holes in the clamps and left them at random lengths. I repeated this step once more to make the other side. Then I bolted them together around a socket to see how the wire would fall around the bulb. I was impressed by this initial look, but I knew that I had to change it as the wires would get too hot as they were touching the bulb. I started adding random lengths in-between the vertical wires. I like to keep things looking organic and natural but realised that that wouldn’t work as some wires wouldn’t fit so I made a template for all the interconnecting elements that gave the vertical wires a roughly equal spacing around the bulb.
These are some of the shapes that the lamp feel into as I put it down or spun it around. They are very angular and expressive which I am drawn to but they are loose forms and I needed a method to fix them into a single position or at least into a state where they wouldn’t move when you do not want them to.
One solution would be to braze the joints into position the second is what I chose and that was to run another wire through the bottom loops to add rigidity but also retain some control over the shape and allow it to be posed in varying positions.